Did you know that more than 50 percent of the earth’s population gets stretch marks? Yes, men do too. So when you see those unpleasant lines on your breasts, don’t be scared. For many years, scientists all over the world have been trying to find a way to deal with the problem and have come up with effective solutions.
Some women get their first stretch marks on breasts when they go through puberty, but most of them make this unfortunate acquaintance when they bear and breastfeed their first child. Whatever the reason, when you take a look at these lines, you are ready to cry. No need to do that. There are many different ways you can deal with this problem. Let’s take a look.
1. Tips to Prevent Stretch Marks on Breasts
The breast stretch marks appear when your skin stretches. This occurs when your body starts growing rapidly. There are three simple reasons: fast weight gain, pregnancy and puberty. Fast skin stretching makes the elastic fibers under the surface to break. As a result, we get stretch marks.
If you don’t have stretch marks just yet but are planning a pregnancy, you can do several things to prevent this problem. 90 percent of all women in the world get stretch marks on breasts after pregnancy. Preventive measures are your best shot at avoiding these unwelcomed guests.
- Keep your skin hydrated. When you are pregnant, your blood volume boosts up significantly. In order for that to happen smoothly, your body needs plenty of water. A woman’s organism is set up in a way to provide everything the baby needs before thinking about itself. That’s why amniotic fluid will be your body’s first priority. The well-hydrated skin becomes secondary.
That’s why it’s up to you to care for your appearance. Don’t forget to drink enough water. Doctors recommend getting at least10 glasses of water daily. Never allow yourself to feel dehydrated. Always carry a water bottle with you.
- Bring out the oil. Many natural oils such as: coconut, olive, vitamin E and castor are great for improving your skin’s elasticity. These oils are natural antioxidants that fight free radicals in your body. Apply one of these oils to your breasts on a regular basis. The best time to do it is right after the shower when the skin is clean and moist.
Breasts are the first thing that starts growing once we get pregnant. So start oil therapy as soon as you see a second line on the pregnancy test.
- Watch what you eat. You must have heard it a million times. But the right diet is not just imperative for the health of you and your baby, it will also help you avoid the stretch marks on your breast. Besides doing everything possible to get all your vitamins, you have to remember to include products that boost skin elasticity.
Skin’s elasticity is increased by a gelatin-rich diet. Bone broth and simple gelatin will help your skin get the collagen it’s lacking. Vitamins A, C and E won’t just give your immune system a boost, they will help keep the skin healthy. Omega 3 and Omega 6 are also very good for your skin’s elasticity.
Vitamin K prevents skin scarring. It can be found in leafy greens, spring onions, herbs, cabbage, and pickles. You can make a salad out of these vegetables and eat it on a regular basis.
Pay special attention to eating meat and drinking milk from grass-fed animals. Don’t forget about the eggs. Try to buy organic or locally grown vegetables. Your skin will say “thank you”.
- Exercise regularly. If you don’t have any contraindications to physical activity, exercise during pregnancy can give you a lot of benefits. Physical exercises improve blood circulation which in turn helps increase the skin elasticity.
If you are not pregnant, exercise will help you avoid gaining weight and will allow you to prevent stretch marks.
- Don’t overeat. Eating for two is a myth that can lead to very unfortunate consequences. If you allow yourself to binge on food because “the baby wants it’, you will have to deal with a lot of extra weight which can be dangerous for your health.
If you are not pregnant, never allow yourself to overeat. Rapid weight gain is the main cause of stretch marks in breasts. Many of us eat a lot when we are stressed. So if you are in a stressful situation, look for other ways to deal with it. Otherwise you will get a myriad of health problems, including pink or red stretchmarks on breasts.
Sometimes people gain weight rapidly due to hormonal imbalances or thyroid gland problems. Contact your doctor for proper medication adjustments in order not to experience significant weight fluctuations.
2. A Little Help: How to Use Creams for Breast Stretch Marks
If preventive measures weren’t as effective as you wished and the annoying lines appeared anyway, there are some effective creams to get rid of stretch marks on breasts. You have to understand that the creams are not a full remedy. They can reduce the appearance of stretchmarks but will never make them go away completely.
A stretch mark is essentially a scar. There is not much you can do to make your skin look absolutely perfect again, except wait for them to fade away gradually. However, you can effectively improve its appearance. You’ll have to agree that having hardly visible white stretch marks on breasts is much better than obvious red lines.
The best way to find your own perfect stretch mark cream is to do research. Customer reviews are your best weapon when choosing the right product. Try to filter out the reviews that claim that creams didn’t make the stretch marks disappear. They are not supposed to do that. All a cream can do is reduce their appearance.
There are several creams that get good reviews from women who have tried them. Take a look at some of them and give a couple a chance.
- Skinception Stretchmark Therapy Cream – A clinically proven formula that significantly reduces the stretch mark appearance.
- Mederma Stretch Marks Therapy Cream – Recommended by pharmacists and can also reduce wrinkles.
- CeraVe Intensive Stretch Marks Cream – This cream is designed for sensitive skin and is recommended by dermatologists.
- Art Naturals Stretch Mark & Scar Removal cream – This cream can be used during and after pregnancy. The manufacturer gives a 100 percent satisfaction guarantee.
- Maroc 100 Stretch Mark Cream – The main ingredient of this cream is the blue-green algae which helps boost skin regeneration.
Warning: Pay special attention to Tretinoin cream. It is one of the most effective creams for fresh stretch marks, but it shouldn’t be used during pregnancy or while breastfeeding. This cream effectively boosts collagen production. Unfortunately, it’s not a solution for sensitive skin since it can irritate it.
3. Study Natural Ways to Fight Stretch Marks on Breasts
Over-the-counter creams might do a good job reducing the stretch mark appearance but they can be quite expensive while the therapy can take a long time. For those of you who like being closer to nature and protect your wallet, there are inexpensive home remedies to help fight the annoying lines.
The faster you start dealing with stretch marks on breasts after pregnancy or rapid weight gain, the better the results will be. Older scars are often harder to deal with than new ones.
- Potatoes: The starch that potatoes contain is an emollient and anti-oxidant. It can sooth the skin and reduce the appearance of stretch marks. Anti-oxidants fight the free radicals that damage skin cells. Potato juice helps promote overall skin cell regeneration.
Cut a potato in half and rub one half against the stretch marks on your breasts. Wait five to 10 minutes and wash it off in the shower. Don’t use the same cut-up potato on the next day. It loses its effectiveness when left in the open air
- Aloe Vera: Aloe vera is probably one of the most effective natural skin treatments out there. The benefits it offers are hard to miss. Its healing and soothing properties are perfect for dealing with scars. The plant collagen helps with skin repair.
For best results, grow the aloe vera plant at home. Break off one leaf, get the sticky substances from the inside and rub it into your skin. Leave it on for two to three hours and then wash off with warm water. Repeat this therapy daily.
- Lemon Juice: Lemon juice contains plenty of alpha-hydroxy acids (AHA), as well as vitamin C. Vitamin C boosts collagen production. Alpha hydroxyl acids are a good skin exfoliation agent. AHA help to get rid of the old skin cells while vitamin C helps the new ones grow. As a result, we get a powerful stretch mark remedy.
Cut the lemon in half and rub the juice against the stretch marks on your breasts. Leave it on for eight to 10 minutes and wash off with lukewarm water.
- Vitamin E Oil: Vitamin E has many useful properties for healing stretch marks. It helps the body regenerate cells and can also be used for stretch mark prevention. The best way to use vitamin E oil is to do a massage. Almond oil is the most popular natural source of vitamin E.
Such massage won’t just improve the way your skin looks; it will help the oil penetrate as deep into your skin as possible. The massage increases blood circulation while vitamin E helps skin regeneration.
- Olive Oil: Olive oil is famous for being a great anti-oxidant. It can moisturize, cleanse, and protect your skin. It contains vitamins A and E which are imperative for skin regeneration and elimination of free radicals. Free radicals damage the collagen which is necessary for skin’s elasticity. Vitamin A boosts the blood flow and reduces the appearance of scars.
The best way to use olive oil is to massage it into your breasts. Don’t do it vigorously. A slight massage will do the job just fine. Leave the olive oil on your skin for several minutes and then wash it off with lukewarm water.
- Sugar: Exfoliation is imperative for reducing the stretch marks appearance on your breasts. Sugar is a wonderful affordable exfoliator. It will help your skin get rid of dead cells and will allow other remedies, such as oils, to do their work.
Mix one teaspoon of sugar with a few drops of lemon juice and almond oil. Apply the mixture to the stretchmarks by rubbing it in for several minutes. Repeat this procedure daily before taking a shower.
- Coffee: Coffee grinds is another exfoliation remedy for scarred skin. They can deal with dead skin cells. When used together with coconut or olive oil, coffee grinds are even more effective. Mix them with a few drops of oil and use as an exfoliator for your skin two to three times a week. You will notice a difference in about two weeks.
- Glycolic Acid: Glycolic acid is one more strong exfoliator for your skin. This acid will not treat your stretch marks but will prep them for further treatment with creams and oils. The upper layer of your skin can be removed with the help of glycolic acid and make it ready to receive other remedies. While the skin will look much better after glycolic acid treatment, this is just a short term effect.
Glycolic acid is found in papaya, pineapple, lemons, grapefruits and tomatoes. Papaya peel can be rubbed against the stretch marks directly. Pineapple can be crushed and applied as a mask.
- Alfalfa: Alfalfa contains vitamins E and K as well as amino acids. It is a famous remedy for scars. Vitamin E fights free radicals while vitamin K boosts blood circulation. Amino acids moisturize and nourish the skin. Alfalfa won’t just help reduce the appearance of stretch marks, it will improve the overall condition of your skin and aid with bone mineralization.
Mix half a teaspoon of Alfalfa powder with two drops of chamomile oil. Apply the mixture to your stretchmarks and rub it in. Leave it for about 20 minutes and then wash it off with warm water. You can use this therapy two times a day.
4. When All Else Fails: Find Out About Microdermabrasion
This procedure is highly controversial and you will learn many different opinions about it. Some women testify that it is absolutely useless. Others will show you shocking before and after pictures of stretch marks on breasts and tell you how great their boobs look after microdermabrasion.
You can make your own decision after studying some information. Just as the rest of the stretch mark treatment, microdermabrasion doesn’t give you a 100 percent guarantee that your breasts will look brand new again. The best results can be reached when stretch marks just formed. Older lines are harder to remove.
This procedure will remove a layer of your epidermis. It is done with a special handheld tool with a pump and a compressor. This tool damages the upper layer of your skin which in turn induces new skin growth. However, there is no guarantee that the new skin will not be scarred just like the old one.
Microdermabrasion procedures are offered in many beauty and spa salons. If you purchase the device, you can even do it at home. However, salon tools are usually more powerful and effective.
The procedure is mostly painless and doesn’t have any serious or long-term side effects. Meanwhile, it is expensive and the results are not guaranteed, especially if your stretch marks are rather old.
Another thing to consider when choosing microdermabrasion is the skin’s sensitivity. The skin on your breasts is very soft and sensitive. Microdermabrasion can lead to unpleasant sensations and thickening of the skin.
5. Consider Laser Treatment
If you are not satisfied with the results that creams, natural remedies and microdermabrasion offer, you might want to go for the heavy artillery. Laster treatment for stretch marks is becoming more and more popular. It’s considered to be one of the most effective modern ways to fight scarring.
While being highly effective, a laser treatment is a surgery that has some risks. Try to learn as much information as you can about this procedure before going for a seeming “quick fix”
The Laser Treatment Procedure
The laser treatment procedure is not an invasive procedure if done with excimer laser. There is no burning or cutting the skin. The UV-laser light initiates an ablation process. Which means that the scar tissue disintegrates. After the treatment a new and healthy layer of skin will grow on the affected area.
The skin stays red and raw for several days before healing. The treated area will remind of a burn. For some people it will take just a few days to heal. Others might need several weeks.
It’s an outpatient procedure so you can go home right after the treatment is done. However, you might need to come back for more since one procedure might not be enough. Most people need from five to 10 laser treatments to completely remove the stretch marks.
The Laser Treatment Results
Laser surgery gets to the heart of the problem. Whether you’ve gotten stretch marks on breasts after breastfeeding, pregnancy or a weight gain, the result is the same. You’ve got stretched skin that can stretch even further. A laser takes care of the scar and prevents further stretching.
Even if the therapy will require 10 or 15 procedures, you will still get faster and more obvious results than you would with creams and home remedies. And even if the stretch marks don’t disappear completely, they will fade to a point you can call nearly invisible.
It is important to remember that all people are different and so are their stretch marks. If laser surgery worked for you friend perfectly, it doesn’t mean it will help you just as well. But in any case, you will see obvious results.
The Laser Treatment Risks
Any surgery, even the outpatient type, comes with its own risks and side effects. Laser treatment is considered safe and the side effects are rare, but these are the most common ones:
- Human Error: The highest risk of the laser removal is a mishandled laser. Human error can have a very negative effect during laser treatment. Mishandled tools can lead to skin damage. That’s why it is important to carefully choose an experienced dermatologist that you can trust.
- Skin Swelling: Another side effect is swelling. This is a short term effect which comes from the damage done to the skin. This problem will disappear within several days. However, people with sensitive skin might have to endure these unpleasant sensations for several weeks and will need additional treatments.
- Blistering: Then there is blistering. While being very unpleasant to bear, blistering can lead to additional scarring.
- Discoloration: Another possible risk is skin discoloration. This problem usually occurs on the dark skin. Unfortunately, this problem can be permanent. So you have to ask yourself whether or not you are ready to trade stretch marks for skin discoloration.
- Lack of Results: And the final risk is the lack of results. There is always a chance that laser treatment will not be successful. There are many different reasons this could happen. But you must remember that treating damaged skin by damaging it further might not give you the desired results.
Laser Treatment Costs
Laser stretch mark removal is a rather costly procedure. It is a cosmetic treatment and is not covered by insurance. As you already know, you might need more than five or even ten procedures to get the result you need. There is no guarantee that you will be satisfied with the treatment you paid a large amount of money for, so be sure to discuss it with your doctor and ask plenty of questions before you decide on it.
No matter what method you choose to deal with stretch marks on breasts, there is no guarantee that it will work. The good news is that stretch marks fade with time and in several years you might only see a few faint lines that are not even worth any fighting effort.