Both men and women are prone to get stretch marks on legs, as these are one of the most common cosmetic issues. Stretchmarks are thin, narrow streaks that form on the skin when your body undergoes rapid growth. These spurts of growth stretch your skin and breakdown your skin collagen, which then manifests as unsightly stretchmarks.
While both men and women can develop stretch marks, these unsightly marks on the skin are more frequent among women. For women, hiding their stretchmarks is one of their major challenges, especially when they happen on the legs.
This article will talk about ways you can get rid of stubborn stretch marks on legs. It will also talk about stretch marks on calves, stretch marks between legs and stretch marks on legs in men.
1. Coffee Scrubs: A Stretch Mark Remedy From Your Kitchen
High levels of oxidative stress is one of the main reasons you might struggle to remove stretch marks from your skin. Think of oxidative stress as a form of toxin buildup that damages the healing process of your skin and makes stretch marks linger around for longer.
Caffeine in coffee grounds acts as a wonder agent for your skin. Coffee contains a rich supply of antioxidant like theanine. The American Journal of Clinical Nutrition performed a study which revealed that coffee contains more antioxidants than several fruits,including oranges and blueberries.
Coffee helps to constrict the tiny, damaged blood vessels in the skin, which helps reduce skin inflammation. That is why, coffee is often used an ingredient in anti-cellulite creams. Coffee helps to expel water from the skin making it less puffy and smoother. Also, since coffee stimulates blood flow and improves circulation, using it to exfoliate skin can help you get rid of your stretch marks effectively.
Here are some simple DIY body scrubs you can make from coffee grounds:
- Simple Coffee Scrub: Here is what you need for this scrub:
- Coffee grounds
- Warm water
Use the scrub following the directions below:
- Make a paste by adding coffee grounds to warm water.
- Use the paste directly as a body scrub and keep it on for at least half an hour before wiping it with a cotton towel.
- Repeat the process at least once daily for four to six weeks.
- Coffee and Aloe Vera Scrub: Aloe vera contains vitamins C and E which can improve your skin’s health and encourage stretch marks to disappear.
Following is the list of ingredients you need for this scrub:
- Three to four tablespoons of coffee grounds
- Equal amount of organic aloe vera gel, which you can get from your grocery store.
Make and use this scrub following the given steps:
- Add coffee grounds to an equal quantity of aloe vera gel to make a paste.
- Wash the affected areas with lukewarm water before applying the paste.
- Apply the paste generously so that it completely covers the marks.
- Keep it on for half an hour or till the paste dries. Wipe it off with a damp cotton cloth afterward.
- Repeat the process once daily for at least four to six weeks to see visible results.
- Coffee and Olive Oil Scrub: Olive oil is natural oil with proven skin nourishing properties.
To make this scrub, you’d need:
- Two tablespoons of ground coffee
- One tablespoon of olive oil. You can get virgin olive oil from your grocery store.
Here is how to make and apply this scrub:
- Wash the affected area thoroughly with lukewarm water before applying the scrub.
- Mix two tablespoons of coffee grounds with one tablespoon olive oil to form a paste.
- Apply this paste to your skin, covering your stretch marks.
- Wipe away with a damp cloth after 20 minutes.
- Repeat the process at least once a day for three to four weeks to see results.
- Use a damp cloth only to wipe off the scrub. Using paper tissues or any other abrasive material can harm your skin.
- Moisturize your skin well with a good moisturizer after the application of all these coffee scrubs.
- Do not use these scrubs if you are allergic to coffee or any of the above mentioned ingredients.
2. Use Egg Whites to Remove Stretch Marks
Stretch marks form when your skin stretches excessively. This causes the connecting tissues in the layers underneath the skin to break.
Since protein forms one of the vital components of skin, using egg whites to fight stretch marks is a good idea as egg whites contain proteins and amino acids that work to repair damaged skin.
The following instructions will walk you through the process of how to get rid of stretch mark on legs using egg whites:
- Separate the whites from two eggs and keep the yolks aside.
- Whip the egg whites until soft peaks begin to form.
- Use a brush or a sponge to apply a thick layer of the whipped egg whites to the stretch mark areas.
- Let it dry before rinsing with cold water.
- Apply a light coat of olive oil to keep the area moisturized.
Using egg whites to treat stretch marks often produces visible results within a couple of weeks. Do not be alarmed if you feel your skin tightening.
3. Aloe Vera Scrubs: Treating Stretch Marks in Nature’s Corner
Aloe vera is perhaps the most effective ingredient to fight stretch marks. Originally from Africa, aloe vera has healing properties. You can also easily grow it at home and use it as:
Aloe vera can fade stretch marks because it can help repair the collagen fibers in your skin. It also has antiseptic qualities that make it great for cuts, rashes and sunburns. It contains plant collagen which helps to reduce stretch marks by increasing skin’s elasticity.
There are two ways you can apply Aloe Vera at home:
- Aloe Vera Scrub: Break a leaf off from the plant and apply the broken surface to the stretch marks directly. Do this at least once daily for four to five weeks to see visible results.
- Aloe Vera and Vitamin Scrub:Vitamins, especially vitamin E and A, are essential for your skin’s growth and nourishment. These vitamins also act as potent antioxidants.
For this scrub, you’d need:
- Aloe vera. You can get this gel from your grocery store or any herbalist.
- Vitamin A and E capsules, which you can get from a pharmacy.
Here is how to use this scrub:
- Start by washing the affected skin area.
- Mix, ¼ cup of Aloe Vera gel with the oil from 10 vitamin E capsules and five vitamin A capsules.
- Rub this mixture onto your skin until your skin absorbs it completely.
- Repeat the drill once a day for two to three weeks.
4. Use Potato Lycopene to Your Advantage
Potato juice can lighten and brighten your skin. This means when applied to the stretch marks, potato can help make them less prominent. Potato contains lycopene, which is an antioxidant that promotes healthy skin.
Potato juice can also help to:
- Detoxify skin
- Keep skin from aging quickly
- Treat sunburns, blemishes, dry skin and eczema
To apply potato juice to your skin:
- Cut a medium-sized potato into thick slices.
- Rub one of the slices onto your stretch marks until the area is covered with the juice.
- Leave it to dry.
- Rinse with lukewarm water.
You can apply potato juice several times in a day for quick results.
5. Lemon Juice: A Time-Tested Remedy for Stretch Marks on Legs
Stretch marks can fade out with time but more often than they do not disappear completely. The Alpha Hydroxy Acid (AHA) in lemon juice can effectively lighten skin and reduce visible stretch marks. AHA boosts the growth of collagen fibers.
To apply lemon juice to your stretch marks:
- Exfoliate your skin well for stretch marks on legs removal.
- Cut a medium-sized lemon and squeeze the juice into a bowl. Apply this juice with the help of your fingers or a cotton ball onto your stretch marks.
- Keep the juice on your skin for 10 to15 minutes before wiping it off with a damp cloth.
- Moisturize your skin with cocoa butter.
Some people may have sensitive skin and therefore may be allergic to lemon juice. In that case, you can also mix lemon juice with an emollient like cocoa butter and apply to your skin.
6. How to Cover Stretch Marks on Legs Instantaneously: Using Skin Camouflage to Hide Stretch Marks
Using natural remedies to get rid of stretch marks on legs can take some time. There are many skin camouflage creams in the market that can help you hide an array of skin problems like acne, scars and pigmentation almost instantaneously. You can also use a skin camouflage cream to hide the stretchmarks on your legs.
To avoid side effects that chemicals in the skincare products may have, you must opt for a cream from a trusted brand. Keromask camouflage cream is designed for all skin types to disguise skin imperfections. This camouflage cream gives long-lasting coverage with minimum side effects.
7. Keep Your Skin Moisturized to Keep Stretch Marks at Bay
You must use a good moisturizer to keep your skin hydrated at all times. Stretch marks are the result of damage to the skin layers. They would take a long time to heal if your skin is dry. Moisturizing the skin helps repair stretch marks faster.
Massaging the skin on your legs with an essential oil or a cream that is rich in vitamin E can help your skin to heal, which will reduce visible stretch marks. Skinception cold pressed cosmetic argan oil is rich in vitamin A and vitamin E, both of which can work wonders on your stretch marks.
8. Use of a Good Stretch Mark Cream as a Part of Your Daily Skincare Routine
A single stretch mark is enough to make you panic, especially in the summer when you do not want to cover your legs too much. Stretch marks on the legs can affect:
- Inner thighs
- Outer thighs
Skinception intensive stretch mark therapy is clinically proven and trusted by a large number of users. Skinception treats stretch marks by boosting collagen production in the skin. With only two weeks of its use, you can experience up to 73 percent decline in your skin stretch marks. It also reduces discoloration and gives you an even skin tone.
9. DIY: Make Your Own Stretch Mark Cream
Here is a simple DIY stretch mark cream that you can make at home. It will not only save you money but will also keep side effects at bay since it is made of natural ingredients and is safe for sensitive skin
Things you will need:
- Small airtight glass jar to store the cream
- Pan for heating
- Whisk to mix
- Two tablespoon shea butter
- Two tablespoon cocoa Butter
- Two tablespoon coconut oil
- 10 drops vitamin E oil
- Five drops lavender essential oil
Here is how to make this cream:
- Mix two tbsp of shea butter, cocoa butter and coconut oil in a pan.
- Add the 10 drops of vitamin E oil and place the pan on a low flame until the contents melt. When the ingredients melt, whisk gently with the whisk and remove from heat.
- Add five drops of lavender essential oil into this mixture.
- Mix the ingredients and pour the mixture into an airtight jar.
Once you have made the cream, use it to massage onto your stretch marks regularly.
Shea butter deeply moisturizes and nourishes skin. It also promotes new skin cells to replace damaged skin. Coconut oil, likewise, helps heal the damaged skin tissue. Lavender oil has anti-inflammatory properties which help reduce inflammation of the skin. Together with cocoa butter and vitamin E, these ingredients help to heal and fade stretch marks when applied to the skin on a regular basis.
10. Tea Tree Oil: An Essential with Several Skin Benefits
Tea tree oil is highly recommended for those who want to get rid of their stretch marks fast. The Australian tea tree oil in particular has anti-inflammatory and anti-bacterial qualities, which makes it a widely used ingredient in many skincare products.
Tea tree oil is easily available in the market and is also quite easy to use.
- Simply apply tea tree oil to your stretch marks before going to bed at night and wash it off while you shower in the morning.
- You can also apply a mixture of coconut oil, Aloe Vera gel and few drops of tea tree oil to your stretch marks.
There are some precautions you need to take while using tea tree oil for stretch marks, such as:
- Do not vigorously rub the stretch marks while massaging tea tree oil onto your skin.
- Try not to scratch your stretch marks.
- Avoid using a hardor rough cloth to wipe off the oil.
- Be sure to use tea tree oil consistently for best results.
Using tea tree oil can save you the embarrassment due to stretch marks. You will also be able to save yourself the hassle of having to cover or conceal your stretch marks.
11. Almond Oil is a Source of Essential Skin Vitamins
Almond oil is rich in antioxidants and skin friendly vitamins like vitamin A, B, E and proteins. All these ingredients can combat stretch marks and give you a healthy skin.
To use almond oil:
- Mix four tablespoons each of almond oil and sugar in a bowl.
- Clean the area having stretch marks with clean water to wash off any dirt.
- Apply the mixture onto the affected areas.
- Keep it on until it is dry.
- Rinse off with tap water afterward.
For best results, you must almond oil twice daily for up to two to three weeks. It can help you get rid of dead skin cells and brighten up your skin.
12. Castor Oil: Sticky Oil with Skin Benefits
Castor oil is sticky but acts as a great moisturizer for your skin. It helps to prevent dry skin and can effectively heal stretch marks.
- Take three to four tablespoons of castor oil into a bowl and heat until it melts.
- Take the oil while it is still warm to touch and apply it gently over the affected areas.
- You can leave it for half an hour to one hour before washing it off.
Keep the oil away from your clothes as it is thick and sticky and can spoil your clothes.
13. A Healthy Diet: The Key to Lasting Stretch Mark Relief
Here are some foods that you should include into your diet to diminish stretch marks for good:
- Legumes: Legumes, such as beans, peas and lentils, contain a high amount of protein. Your body breaks down these proteins to form amino acids which help to form collagen, a skin protein that renders strength and elasticity to your skin.
- Tea: Tea helps your skin retain water which plumps up your skin, making it appear smooth and supple. Tea is a rich source of antioxidants like phenols. These chemicals help keep your skin young, stretch mark free and forever young.
- Foods Rich in Zinc: Zinc helps to rebuild and repair your skin. It is also essential for collagen production. Fish, Brazil nuts and turkey are some good sources of zinc. Legumes, peanuts, tofu and oatmeal also contain zinc.
- Oranges: Oranges and similar citrus fruits promote water retention between the skin cells thus reduce the appearance of stretch marks.
Besides good skin, eating healthy will help you achieve beautiful hair and nails while successfully reducing stretch marks.
14. Keeping Yourself Hydrated is the Key
You must keep your skin hydrated to optimize its elasticity. You must drink at least two to three liters of water daily. Also, eating foods that are rich in water can help replenish water in your body. Eat a lot of fiber for fiber helps to retain water in the body.
When you keep your skin hydrated, your stretch marks show less. That is because water facilitates the regeneration of new skin cells to replace the old and damaged skin cells thus helping to heal your stretch marks.
15. Make Time for Physical Exercise
Exercise can help you maintain an ideal body weight. Sudden increase in weight is one of the main reasons why you might get stretch marks in the first place. Regular exercise makes sure that you do not put on weight and do not get stretch marks too.
Ideal exercises for stretch marks on legs include:
- Lunges, Sit ups and Swimming: These exercises help tone your body and will help you avoid stretch marks on your thighs.
- Calf Raises and Leg Press: These exercises avoid the forming of stretch marks on the calves.
Physical exercise can help you to stay fit and energetic. It also boosts circulation to your skin so that you get a glowing and younger looking skin.
Though a stretch mark is not a life threatening situation, it can be a nuisance. Stretch marks on legs are stubborn and can embarrass people, especially stretch marks on legs of teenagers who are conscious about how they look. Whether you are a woman or a man, you can use the remedies mentioned in this article to get rid of the ugly looking stretch marks for good.